When it comes to maintaining and repairing asphalt surfaces, asphalt milling is a solution that can restore the pavement without a full replacement. This process is cost-effective, environmentally friendly, and highly efficient. In this guide, we’ll break down the basics of asphalt milling and why it’s a popular choice for pavement maintenance. B&E Coating Services, LLC, your trusted Michigan asphalt maintenance company, is here to explain.
What is Asphalt Milling?
Asphalt milling, also known as pavement milling, involves the controlled removal of the surface of an existing pavement to a desired depth or full thickness with specially designed equipment. This process can remove just the surface of the pavement, or penetrate to a deeper level.
Why Choose Asphalt Milling?
Here are a few key benefits:
- Cost-Effective: Asphalt milling avoids the complete removal and replacement of existing pavement, which saves time and money.
- Recycling: The removed materials can be recycled and used in future asphalt projects.
- Prepares for Resurfacing: Milling creates a smooth surface that is ideal for a new layer of asphalt.
When is Milling Necessary?
Milling is typically performed when the surface layer of the asphalt is heavily damaged but the foundation is still in good condition. Common scenarios include:
- Surface Damage Repair: For addressing widespread cracking or potholes.
- Levelling and Smoothing: To correct a warped or uneven surface.
- Downsizing: To lower the height of the pavement, especially in areas where it has been built up by repeated resurfacing over the years.
The Asphalt Milling Process
Here is a simplified step-by-step guide to how asphalt milling is performed:
- Assessment and Planning: Before milling, the condition of the asphalt is thoroughly assessed and the depth of milling is determined.
- Milling Machine Preparation: Special machinery, called a milling machine, is used. It is set to the specified depth.
- Milling Execution: The machine moves over the asphalt surface, grinding and removing the top layers of asphalt to the predetermined depth.
- Material Collection and Recycling: The removed material, known as RAP (Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement), is collected for recycling.
- Surface Preparation: After milling, the remaining surface is cleaned and prepped for the new layer of asphalt or for sealing.
Why Trust B&E Coating Services, LLC with Your Asphalt Milling Needs?
At B&E Coating Services, LLC, we are committed to delivering top-notch asphalt milling services. With our state-of-the-art equipment and highly experienced team, we ensure that each project is executed with precision and professionalism. We are dedicated to customer satisfaction and delivering durable, long-lasting results.
Asphalt milling is a versatile and valuable process for maintaining the quality and functionality of your paved surfaces. It is a sustainable method that significantly extends the life of your asphalt without the need for a complete overhaul.
For expert asphalt milling services in Michigan, trust the experienced team at B&E Coating Services, LLC. Give us a call today at 989-352-7305 or visit our website at MichiganSealcoating.com to learn more about our services and to request a quote.